Wednesday 21 March 2012

Foods That Are Good For Your Smile

By Kerri-Ann Jennings, M.S., R.D. Associate Nutrition Editor for EatingWell Magazine
Last time I visited the dentist, we were having one of those awkward, mouth-full-of-toothpaste conversations. She was asking me about my work (I'm the associate nutrition editor of EatingWell Magazine and a registered dietitian, and I write a lot about food and health), when it occurred to me that I wanted to write about foods for healthier teeth (and by extension, a brighter smile).
Here's what I found out:

Crunchy And Chewy Foods
 
 
SHARE THIS SLIDE
Crunchy and chewy foods -- such as carrots, celery and nuts -- cause saliva to flow; saliva neutralizes the acids formed by cavity-causing bacteria. (Sticky and sweet foods, on the other hand, help that bacteria to grow and develop into plaque -- a bacterial buildup that can give rise to cavities.

More from EatingWell:
Beauty Foods That Fight Wrinkles, Swelling and More
6 Surprising Sources of Sugar
Ward Off Garlic Breath with These 5 Foods

No comments:

Post a Comment